Have to move on short notice? Moving is never an easy task. Moving in a hurry with short notice takes the difficulty and multiplies it. Fortunately, there are a few hacks you can use to help you prepare for the move. Let’s look at five of them.
1. Get the Movers Lined Up
Your first decision with a short notice move is logistics. Are you going to do the moving or are you hiring movers? In either case, you need to get things lined up as soon as possible. For a professional move, start calling moving companies and getting quotes. Cheap Dallas Movers, which curates a list of licensed Dallas and Irving TX moving companies, recommends checking the company’s reputation and references closely. Always get at least three quotes before hiring.
For a DIY move, you have two essential things: hire a moving van and calling your friends and family for help. The sooner you do this, the more likely you will be to have the transportation and help you need.
2. Get Rid of Things You Don’t Need or Want
Put simply, the less you have, the less you have to move, and the less you have to pack.
Once you have the moving logistics in place, it’s time to start trimming your belongings down. Go through every room in your home, every closet, every drawer, and every cabinet. Take out anything you no longer need or want.
Some items, in good condition, you can donate. If you have family and friends close, ask if anyone wants anything you are getting rid of. If something is broken, stained, or completely useless, throw it away or recycle it.
3. Pack, Pack, Pack
Moving in a hurry means you don’t have time to sort things and put them in neat piles. Your job is to pack, pack, and pack some more.
- Everything small goes into a box.
- Mix and match is the name of the game. Your desk lamp can share a box with your collection of stuffed aardvarks.
- Use your clothing, towels, and linens to protect breakables.
- Pack the things you can do without for a few days first.
- Pack one room at a time. Concentrating on a single room will get the job done faster.
- Clean as you go. The more debris, half-open boxes, and other things you have lying around, the harder the job becomes.
4. Set Aside Essentials
As you are packing, set aside the essentials you need to survive the first few days at your new place. Put them together in a bag or box and take them with you to the new place.
- Linens for the beds
- Towels and personal items for bathing
- A few changes of clothes
- Medicines, important documents, etc.
5. Label and Color Code Everything
Even though you aren’t sorting things, you need to have a rough idea of what is in each box. For example, “jewelry and socks” or “microwave and pajamas.” Color code each box to the room it’s going into at your new place. It makes moving in and unpacking much easier.
These hacks will help you prepare for your short notice move and, hopefully, make it a bit easier. Which one of these hacks worked best for you?